How to register for the Padrón

Anyone who is living in Spain on a permanent basis is required by law to register for the Padrón in their town. This is something that you can do as soon as you move to Spain and is one of the easy things to sort on your list.

What is the Padrón? 

The certificado de empadronamiento or ‘Padrón’ is a certificate you receive after you have registered at your local town hall. While some people worry that this is just a way for the government to keep tabs on them, the Padrón is in fact simply a way for the government and local authorities to keep track of how many people live in the area. 

What are the benefits of being on the Padrón? 

The Cent­ral Gov­ern­ment al­loc­ates money to each area ac­cord­ing to how many people are registered as living in each town. This means that by registering for the Padrón you’re helping your local town hall to be allocated enough money for the pro­vi­sion of health centres, po­lice, fire fight­ers, schools, and so­cial care. 

If you want to be able to re­gister to vote in local or European elec­tions, you must be registered.  

You will need to provide a copy of your Padrón when you apply for residency, and will be asked for it any time you need to provide proof of your address such as registering with your local doctors, enrolling your children at school, and buying a property, among other things. 

How do I register for the Padrón? 

Registering for the Padrón in your local area is free, easy and a fairly quick process. 

Simply go to your Ayuntamiento (town hall), ask for the certificado de empadronamiento, and you will be given a form to fill out. 

Give back the completed form along with the documentation required and you should receive your certificate either on the same day or within the week. 

All family members wishing to be registered must go along to the town hall, this includes children. 

What paperwork do I need to register for the Padrón? 

To receive your Padrón certificate you will need: 

  • A valid passport 
  • NIE or TIE/Residencia 
  • A recent utility bill in your name 
  • House deeds or a copy of your rental contract 

Note: When providing a copy of your Padrón it needs to be no older than 3 months. You can request an up-to-date copy at any time from your local Ayuntamiento

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.